Thursday, October 22, 2015

Storytelling Week 9, Sakuntala

Sakuntala’s house was a small two bedroom cottage, it was surrounded by a lush garden full of many-colored flowers that just gushed with fragrance.  Small animals seemed to appear within the small spaces between the plants, undisturbed by the fast paced city that was only five miles from Sakuntala’s front door.  This was a peaceful place; the house was of a sturdy build made decades before, that was obviously meant to house Sakuntala and her young boy.

I loved visiting this place not just for the appeal to the eye, but because I felt Sakuntala had become a good friend of mine.  I met her not long after she had given birth to her son and since then I had visited her twice a week to help her with her son.  It didn’t take long for me to learn her story and wonder at how happy she was despite it.  How could any man forget her?  She’s so beautiful and she just seems to emit a glow from within that sparkles in her eyes and her smile.  It’s unfathomable that any man, no matter his status, could forget Sakuntala!

She had told me how when she was eight months through her pregnancy she had gone to find her husband.  That when she and her adopted mother had found him, he denied their life together; he denied knowing anything of her, he wouldn’t acknowledge their marriage, their love, nor their not long in coming child.  Now it seemed like she waited for him, as if she thought that one day he would magically remember that he had married her, that they had a child together.

However the child concerned me.  Although he was young, he ran around like a dervish and it seemed as though he could speak to the animals he encountered and that they understood him.  I took him for walks when I came to give Sakuntala a break and when we walked he would greet the birds, squirrels, and rabbits, but then he would also greet the wolves hiding in the dark corners and the tigers in the low-lying branches of the trees.  He never failed to boggle my mind!

It was on one of these walks that I met a man whose eyes were only for the child, I could see the recognition in those eyes.  He was a handsome and powerfully built man with dark hair and a dark complexion.  I knew exactly who this man was the moment I met him and I allowed him to play with the child when we walked together and when it was time Sakuntala’s son and I took the man to meet Sakuntala.  When he saw her he fell at her feet and that glow that radiated from her seemed to grow somehow and I could not but be happy that he husband had finally remembered her.  That somehow the magic really did exist!

At her feet, Sakuntala’s husband cried out to her, “My love, my angel!  How could you ever find it in you to forgive me?! How could I have ever forgotten you?!  These last four years I have searched for you! Only the thought that you were still out here kept me alive because I am dead without you!”  His shoulders heaved with great broken sobs and the gracious and beautiful pulled him up off his knees and embraced him as I knew only she could.
“My love, I gave myself to you and I am forever yours.  I would have waited for you my whole life if that is what was necessary.  I knew that one day your memory of us would return and it has.  Now let us live the rest of our lives together and rejoice in the love that we have!”

***

This was the last time I ever saw Sakuntala alone.  She and her husband left the little cottage and he took her to his people and showed her the love that she deserved.  It wasn’t until years later that Sakuntala and her husband returned to the quiet of that lush garden and small quarters so that they could peacefully retire together for the rest of their lives.



Author’s note:
I really wanted to show Sakuntala’s story from another person’s eyes to really show how graciously she accepted her fate.  I’m sort of a romantic and I ‘d like to think that someone who really loves me would wait for me for as long as I need.  I didn’t really pick an era or anything but I made it a little more modern with the wording. I wanted to remain fairly vague so that the focus was really on the story and not on the setting.


Bibliography:
"Sakuntala" by Sunity Devee, from Nine Ideal Indian Women (1919). Web Source: Indian Epics: Reading Guides.

No comments:

Post a Comment