Thursday, October 29, 2015

Week 10, Famous Last Words

Well this week I only had time for the second reading, which was much shorter than the first.  Something that I’ve noticed and from Claire’s posts I see that she has too, there seems to be a rather gendered view on the Indian Epics.  The stories I’ve read about women have always been about them as a wife,  as a mother, or something similar and less spectacular.  The only power they seem to have in their lives is how to take themselves away from their husbands by dying such as Sati and Sita, both married to powerful men, both giving their bodily forms up for their husbands.

This week I don’t really think I wrote anything spectacular.  I have neither the time nor the patience to sit down and allow the words to come flowing from my brain, through my hands, and onto paper or computer.  I generally don’t even have time to do the extra-credit work, but this week I got a little pep in my step and so now I’m doing extra-credit, which seems to be my best work this week.  I actually tried to sit down and do a little fantasy writing as a relaxation exercise, but I couldn’t get my head into it because I always feel the pressure of homework lingering over my head.  I always have this sneaky feeling that I’m forgetting to do something and even when I’m not in school I feel it too!

Well I’m only in three classes this semester and frankly it’s been really hard of late to leave my happy little home, drive the hour to get to class, and then actually attend class.  That’s one of the reasons I love this class so much, I don’t have to worry about my attendance.  I just do the homework; do the projects, all in my chair in my front room while watching something like Property Brothers or Fixer Upper.  So therefore I find it hard to show up to class and even harder to get my mind going for these classes where it seems like I’m studying the same things over and over again.  I guess I’m a lot less focused than I use to be.  Also it’s really hard to come up with an ethical essay and I think it’ll be really hard to come up with a fifteen page paper on one!


Something that I’ve noticed on Facebook here recently is the issue about the police officer arresting the young woman at the high school when she failed to comply with the teachers.  I think it’s complete crap he was fired, I think it’s complete crap that he was even called into the classroom in the first place, and I think the whole situation is complete crap.  Yes the girl was distressed from the loss of her mother and grandmother, but that does not give her the right to strike a police officer and ignore school policies and teachers.  She should not have resisted at all when the police officer tried to remove her from the room and he did not throw her.  Anyone who has tried to throw someone from that angle knows exactly how impossible that is.  The whole situation is completely out of context, and should never have happened if the teachers had taken the appropriate steps in the first place.  A police officer should not have been fired over this.  She was 17-18 years old and she knows how she is suppose to act. The End.


No comments:

Post a Comment