Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Week 13, Growth Mindset

So one of the challenges is to choose a meme and write a blog about it.  I chose this meme.


I really liked this meme, not necessarily because of the picture, but I liked what was said in the blog with the picture.

"In our minds, the first bit of information we take in does hold special sway. The Anchoring cognitive bias is our tendency to rely heavily on our first impressions (or ‘anchor’ information) when making a decision. Once the anchor has been set, other judgments are made by adjusting away from that anchor without taking into consideration other viewpoints."

This really hit me because with my major I have learned a lot about the Middle East, specifically Islam and Judaism.  I think one of the worst things is to have to sit in public spaces and listen to people talk about either of those subjects when they are completely ignorant of how either of these religions work. A lot of people in the United States have a big problem with Islam because the only thing that most americans know about the religion is that extremist from the religion flew a plane into the twin towers and killed hundreds of people.  Now there is Paris added into the mix and it just gets worse.  My whole Facebook feed is full of people saying "no" to Syrian refugees simply because of their religious affiliation.  However I think that I once felt the same, before I came to college and started learning.  I was once that ignorant person, that awful person who spoke about things that she had no idea about.  I think the real difficulty is forgetting what you've already learned to learn the correct information.  

No comments:

Post a Comment