Friday, August 28, 2015

Growth Mindset -- I don't know a whole lot about it....yet.

Honestly I've never hear of this before, however I have experienced this with several of my professors here at OU.  I find the idea that we should be rewarded for continuing to try and improve a nice prospect. Though I see myself as a person who has a growth mindset now, I do realize that not long ago I had a very fixed mindset.  In fact it took a hard fall in my grades to make me realize that doing what I had done all throughout high school was no longer going to work when it came to college.  Suddenly I had to work so much harder to do as well as I use to do, and honestly, I love the challenge.  Even in my hobbies I enjoy the challenge; I started Judo my sophomore year of college and since then I've come to realize that every match or "roll" I lose teaches me something, a new move, a flaw in my own moves, or the humbling fact that I'm never as good as I think I am.  I find the idea of the "growth mindset" to be an interesting topic that is worth talking about and researching, however I question how effective it actually is with younger students who can't or won't grasp the idea of what having a "growth mindset" means.  The effort part of the whole idea seems to be the hardest part to instill into young students these days who are always looking for the shortcut, the easy way out.  I'd like to continue to research the statistics on this a fair bit more in order to see how effective it is on a wide range of different types of students.


No comments:

Post a Comment