Saturday, August 29, 2015

Introduction

Hey my name is Briana, I am dual majoring in Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies and I also have an associates degree in Graphic Design.  I currently am working at as a florist at Uptown Grocery and I know what you're thinking, flowers suck at grocery stores right? That's a big WRONG. Just to let you know, we have several florists that have worked as florists all their lives and we get flowers internationally from several different sellers which means we can get pretty much anything in a cut flower.  We also do weddings, parties and blow up a lot of balloons.

Sorry for the spiel but I had to set everyone straight.

(personal photo of a wedding bouquet)

I have a lot of hobbies these days because I tend to "dabble" which means I have to tendency to skip from hobby to hobby.  Right now my current hobbies are MMA fighting, gardening, and spending countless hours catching up on my favorite television shows on Netflix.

(personal photo of my garden)

My favorite television shows include Doctor Who, Sherlock, Dowton Abby, , New Girl, The Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, Grey's Anatomy, America's Next Top Model, Bones, NCIS, and Criminal Minds. I won't include any more because I feel to include all my favorites would take up completely too  much time.  Though I have to say I am a very big fan of BBC television shows.

I have a thirteen year old dog named Dexter, he is a pit bull terrier and he likes to wake me up at 5:30 in the morning to let him outside and to fill his food bowl, as if he were starving.  He likes to sleep in my bed and prefers to be covered up with his own very soft wool blanket.  He has bad table manners, will hop into random cars if he thinks the owner will take him for a sonic cheeseburger, and absolutely loves men.

\
(Personal photo of Dexter, 3 years ago, he's much older now.)


Just for fun heres some more of the things I like or have made!

(personal photo of Dexter)

(Personal photo of flower arrangement)

So something I've recently picked back up is weightlifting and boy am I sore!! I know it's probably not a whole lot but I bench pressed 95 pounds yesterday and I'm very proud of that because that means I benched ten pounds more than I did two weeks ago! Yay!  Now I know a lot of women think that weightlifting will make them ugly and overly muscled, but honestly, our bodies don't have enough testosterone to do that naturally!!







3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great combination of majors, Briana... and graphic design too — and flower design! That is excellent. I am not very good at graphic design (and I'm not very good at arranging flowers for that matter, ha ha), but I am so impressed when I see something really beautiful online because I know how much effort it takes to design a really good graphic! Do you think you will want to do a Middle Eastern project for this class??? There are so many amazing storytelling traditions from the Middle East; it would be great if you want to do that. Do you know about the Palestinian folktale collection that UC Press has put online? Just amazing!
    Speak Bird, Speak Again: Palestinian Arab Folktales, edited by Ibrahim Muhawi and Sharif Kanaana

    And your Dexter is a cutie: maybe he will make an appearance in one of your stories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dexter looks like an awesome dog! I absolutely love dogs! My black lab, Milo, also loves to wake up at the crack of dawn to be fed. I should have named him Rooster… I think it’s pretty cool that you’re a florist. My family is from Colombia, and along with coffee and fruit, one of Colombia’s main exports to the U.S. is flowers. Maybe you’re making a beautiful bouquet with flowers from my country! Small world isn’t it? Based on your majors, it seems like you’re a really well-rounded person. Flowers, Arabic, Dexter, and Sherlock, your life is set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Briana! I love floral arrangements! I took a class up once to learn it as a hobby, but I moved to Oklahoma shortly after and couldn’t pursue it further. Your dog is also really cute. Pitt mixes are so cute and energetic. My cat, Snaggletooth, will pull the same move at odd times of the night and morning, where she’ll yowl for food. I watch a lot of Netflix shows too and am excited to finally start Narcos. Have you seen it? It’s supposed to be a great show about the rise of the Medellin cartel. Anyway, have a great semester and maybe post some floral arrangements gardening pics on your blog too?

    ReplyDelete